Tri Tip Tortilla Soup
Cook Time 31 minutes
- 1 lb. cooked Harris Ranch tri tip trimmed and cut into 1/2” cubes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 tsp. chopped garlic
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and chopped, or 1 pasilla or green
- bell pepper and 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 cups beef stock
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 cups vegetable oil for frying
- 6 stale corn tortillas cut into 1/8” thick strips
In a Dutch oven or large heavy pot, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the onions, garlic, peppers, salt, cumin, and corianderfor 5 minutes.
Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add the beef stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the tri tip and simmer for about 10 minutes.
Add the cilantro and lime juice, and stir well. Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm. Serves 4-6.
Fried Tortillas Preparation:
Heat oil in a heavy pot or electric fryer to 350 degrees F.
Add the tortilla strips in batches and fry until golden and crisp,
1-1/2 to 2 minutes.
Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Season with salt and pepper.